CLEVELAND (WJW)– The Cleveland Browns have officially kicked off their preseason today, with a win against the Jacksonville Jaguars at Tiaa Bank Field.
The game got off to a good start:
Browns linebacker Mack Wilson had a shoulder injury and was questionable to return to the game, FOX 8’s PJ Ziegler reported
The Browns made another field goal in the second quarter, moving the score up to 6-0 … where it stayed until the final seconds of the quarter:
The score was 13-0 going into halftime. But Cody Parkey soon had another field goal attempt to make, and make it he did. Moving into the fourth quarter, Jacksonville got its first points of the game, and the score was 16-6, until the Browns made another touchdown, moving the score to 23-6.
In the end, the Jaguars came back with one more touchdown, but it wasn’t enough. The game ended at 23-13.
Browns fans got a little peek at this year’s team in action during the Orange and Browns scrimmage at FirstEnergy Stadium Sunday. Today, we got a better look at this class of rookies and more.
Here’s what we were watching for prior to the game:
- Second-year wide receiver Donovan Peoples-Jones has been the talk of training camp. Keep an eye on the former Wolverine who’s shown a lot of growth since being a sixth-round pick. He’s vying for the No. 3 WR spot.
- Greg Newsome II, our first-round draft pick, has been making an impression. The rookie cornerback will get plenty of snaps Saturday as he works for a starting role.
- The Browns have arguably the best running back tandem in the league with Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt. Those two and fullback Andy Janovich are set on the roster. But who gets the other spot or spots?
- The roster competition heats up again amid the reworked defense, especially the defensive line and line backers.
- Not to be ignored, the debut of first overall pick in the 2021 Trevor Lawrence. He’s sure to make headlines no matter how much or how well he plays in this game. He’s competing for the Jaguars starting spot against Gardner Minshew.
- This also marks the NFL coaching debut of Urban Meyer. The former Ohio State Buckeyes coach is back with a headset after a few years with Fox Sports. Jacksonville finished last season with a 1-15 record.
The Browns have two more preseason games: Aug. 22 vs. the New York Giants and Aug. 29 at the Atlanta Falcons.