CLEVELAND, Ohio — Getting your hands on Cleveland Cavaliers tickets might involve a much different process this season.
With unprecedented high ticket demand along with limited ticket availability, the team has announced the launch of a new monthly lottery process to provide seats to as many fans as possible.
According to a release from the team, the lottery will begin Sept. 26. It’s designed to help preserve and protect single game ticket inventory being available for as many individual fans as possible for the Cavs 41-home game schedule.
According to the release, this new approach is also meant to help reduce the number of outside brokers and individuals looking to buy individual tickets in bulk and months in advance with the intent of reselling them.
“The excitement for the upcoming Cavs season is off the charts and we can’t wait to get started,” said Cavaliers CEO Len Komoroski in the release. “It’s a fact that the high demand for tickets far exceeds the supply. We were committed to find a way to strategically help manage a ticket buying process that would protect the integrity of the purchase for our true fans, and we believe a timed monthly lottery will help ensure that is the case.”
The first lottery selection will take place Oct. 6 through Oct. 10 to purchase tickets to a November game, which will include the Oct. 30 season opener vs. the New York Knicks.
According to the Cavs, here is how the new process will work:
- Beginning Sept. 26, fans can register at Cavs.com to create a Cavs Single Game Lottery Account.
- Fans will have the option to register for EVERY month of the season, OR for SELECT months of the season. Registration is limited to one (1) account per household and email.
- Fans only need to register once and can register at any time throughout the season. HOWEVER, fans will not be locked into their selection and can submit updated registrations at ANY TIME prior to each month’s lottery.
- During the first full week of each month at approximately 9:00 a.m. each day, randomly selected lottery winners will be notified via email that they can purchase tickets for one game in the upcoming month. (For example, winners of the November lottery can purchase tickets to December games, and so on.)
- Lottery winners will be provided a unique password and link to purchase tickets that same day between 12:00 p.m. – 11:59 p.m.
- The lottery winner forfeits their opportunity for tickets if tickets are not purchased during the allotted 12-hour time frame. Once the sales window closes, new lottery winners will be selected and notified the following morning. The process repeats itself until all tickets have been sold for the month.
- Lottery selection guarantees the winner the opportunity to purchase up to six (6) tickets to one (1) game the upcoming month. However, fans are not guaranteed a specific game date as availability to purchase is first come, first served.
- If a fan wins the lottery, but elects not to purchase tickets for a game that month, they will be immediately eligible for the next month’s lottery.
- Fans that win the lottery AND purchase tickets will be eligible again after 60 days.
Fans who want to purchase guaranteed single game tickets in advance and outside of the monthly lottery process can do so at the Flash Seats marketplace, which is the team’s official secondary ticket market. Those sales will also open on Sept. 26.
Meanwhile, tickets for the team’s three preseason games will go on sale Saturday at 10 a.m. at any Discount Drug Mart.