CLEVELAND– There is major fallout from video showing the altercation involving Kansas City Chiefs running back Kareem Hunt at a downtown Cleveland hotel. It was posted by TMZ on Friday.
The Chiefs announced Friday evening that the team is releasing Hunt immediately.
The team said, “Earlier this year, we were made aware of an incident involving running back Kareem Hunt. At that time, the National Football League and law enforcement initiated investigations into the issue. As part of our internal discussions with Kareem, several members of our management team spoke directly to him. Kareem was not truthful in those discussions. The video released today confirms that fact. We are releasing Kareem immediately.”
[protected-iframe id=”7680b53f9f7bbf33b91c9b899b4ff88d-28572381-75933194″ info=”//cdnapisec.kaltura.com/p/591531/sp/59153100/embedIframeJs/uiconf_id/6740162/partner_id/591531?iframeembed=true&playerId=kaltura-player-9999999999-64996422935693256&entry_id=0_exjrtvg5″ width=”560″ height=”395″ frameborder=”0″ webkitallowfullscreen=”” mozallowfullscreen=”” allowfullscreen=””]
The incident happened at The 9 in the early morning hours of Feb. 10. FOX 8 News first told you about it in the days that followed.
The police report said a 19-year-old woman and her friend were asked to leave Hunt’s room after a night out once he and his friends learned their age. The two women were in the hallway trying to arrange a way home and pounding on the door, according to the reports.
A female friend of Hunt’s walked out of the room to try and convince the women to leave. The police report said she was assaulted by the 19-year-old.
The situation culminated with Hunt going into the hallway. The video from TMZ shows him pushing and kicking the 19-year-old woman.
No charges were filed.
Hunt on Friday night reportedly released a statement to ESPN that said, “I want to apologize for my actions. I deeply regret what I did. I hope to move on from this.”
Statement from former Chiefs’ RB Kareem Hunt to ESPN: “I want to apologize for my actions. I deeply regret what I did. I hope to move on from this.”
— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) December 1, 2018
Earlier Friday, the NFL said it placed Hunt on the “Commissioner Exempt list.” As a result of that, Hunt may not practice, play or attend games.
“The NFL’s investigation, which began immediately following the incident in February, will include a review of the new information that was made public today,” the NFL said in its statement.
Hunt is a graduate of Willoughby South High School and went on to play football at Toledo. He was drafted by Kansas City in the third round of the 2017 NFL Draft.
The 23-year-old made headlines last month when he bought 110 tickets to the Browns and Chiefs game for the Willoughby South Rebels football team.