Bieber, 25, unanimously beat out Minnesota’s Kenta Maeda and Toronto’s Hyun Jin Ryu to take home the award. Former Indians pitcher and current Cincinnati Red Trevor Bauer won the NL Cy Young.
The Tribe ace dominated during the coronavirus-shortened season and was the favorite for the Cy Young. He had eight wins, a 1.63 ERA, 122 strikeouts and a .87 WHIP.
Bieber is the first pitcher since 2006 to win MLB’s pitching Triple Crown and just the ninth in league history to accomplish the feat. He’s also the first in Tribe history. Bieber and Bob Feller are the only two Cleveland pitchers to win the AL Triple Crown.
Last year, Bieber was the All-Star Game MVP and finished fourth in Cy Young voting.
The latest headlines from FOX8.com:
- Elyria police officer under investigation for use of force following controversial arrest
- Northeast Ohio Senate candidate draws attention for trying to buy Cleveland Indians
- Is it safe to get the COVID-19 and flu vaccine at the same time?
- ‘The Conjuring’ house in Rhode Island is up for sale
- The weekend is approaching — Here’s what to expect