Chris Antonetti shared the news with reporters after Sunday’s win against the Pirates.
“Sandy [Alomar Jr.] will manage the team for the balance of the playoffs. Tito continues his recovery but is not yet physically able to manage the team,” he said.
Francona, 61, has had to take some time off after having surgery for a gastrointestinal issue and then having complications from blood clotting.
He returned home from a hospital stay about three weeks ago.
Francona, who won two World Series titles in Boston, is in his eighth season with Cleveland.
Get the latest headlines from FOX8.com below:
- Ohio politicians weigh in on Amy Coney Barrett’s confirmation to Supreme Court
- Jamie Foxx mourns death of sister: ‘My heart is shattered’
- Senate confirms Amy Coney Barrett to Supreme Court
- 49 new coronavirus cases reported in Cleveland Monday
- I-TEAM: Clearing up mail-in ballot mysteries in Cuyahoga County