The allegations come from estranged wife Blanca Vizquel, who spoke with the Athletic about what she claimed was a pattern of physical abuse that lasted throughout a decade.
The 36-year-old Blanca reportedly left Omar in August, fleeing to a women’s shelter in Texas after an altercation with her husband. She has filed for divorce.
“It’s devastating because the person you love is supposed to protect you, and when [he’s] the one who’s hurting you,” Blanca Vizquel told The Athletic. “It’s like slow motion and you’re scared and then the police are there, and you know you can’t take it back.”
Omar has denied any abuse on his part. He issued a statement (seen below) Tuesday evening admitting to infidelities and an imperfect marriage, but he still maintained he was never physically abusive.
In 2016, police reportedly removed Omar from the couple’s Washington state home and placed him in handcuffs, but fourth-degree assault didn’t stick after Blanca dropped charges.
Although Omar is not currently managing any baseball teams, the MLB told the Athletic that they are aware of the allegations and are investigating the situation.
Find the Athletic report right here.
Get the latest headlines on FOX8.com below:
- Ohio State swimmer makes men’s Olympic team; first to do so in 65 years
- Local medical experts concerned as Delta variant of COVID-19 continues to spread
- Severe thunderstorm watch in effect overnight; showers still possible Monday
- Here’s the list of 2021 Northeast Ohio 4th of July fireworks shows
- Jackson Township police investigating triple homicide, suicide