COLUMBUS, Ohio (WCMH) — The Presidents Council of the Ohio Athletic Conference announced Friday it has postponed all NCAA competition through Dec. 31 amid the coronavirus pandemic.
The announcement affects 10 conference teams: Mount Union, John Carroll, Baldwin-Wallace, Ohio Northern, Heidelberg, Marietta, Wilmington, Muskingum, Otterbein and Capital.
“The OAC believes we can continue to provide an excellent experience for our student athletes,” said Tim Gleason, commissioner of OAC. “While continuing to make the health and safety of our student-athletes, coaches, staff, families, fans and campus communities our highest priority.”
The fall sports that have intercollegiate competition postponed include cross country, football, golf, soccer, tennis and volleyball.
The winter-season sports of basketball, indoor track and field, swimming and diving, and wrestling will also have intercollegiate competition postponed during the 2020 calendar year, with plans to resume in January 2021.
The latest headlines from FOX8.com:
- Cleveland firefighter fired following rape and kidnapping charges
- Video shows man apologized before Honolulu police shot him
- Ohio-based Phantom Fireworks says industry faces possible fireworks shortage for July 4th
- Cybersecurity, arms control on agenda for meeting between Putin and President Biden
- Former Ohio House Speaker Larry Householder claims innocence in bribery scheme