The league suspended Clase for 80 games for performance enhancing drugs while baseball was on hiatus. With the shorter schedule, the extra games will not carry over to the 2021 season, MLB reporter Anthony Castrovince said on Thursday.
The Tribe acquired Clase and center fielder Delino DeShields Jr. in a deal with the Rangers that sent two-time Cy Young winner Corey Kluber to Texas.
This week, MLB issued a 60-game schedule that will start July 23 or July 24 to play in empty ballparks amid the coronavirus pandemic. Players will report for training by July 1.
Each team will play 10 games against each of its four division rivals and four games vs. each of the five clubs in the corresponding division in the other league. Extra innings will start with a runner on second base and the number of playoff teams will remain at 10.
Get caught up on today’s headlines below:
- Newton Falls Exempted Village Schools K-12 classes go remote Monday, due to ‘possible COVID result’
- Shaker Heights students to return back to classrooms next month, teachers express concern
- Video shows woman attacking members of California tribe protesting border wall
- Biden to GOP senators: Don’t jam through Ginsburg nominee
- 12 more confirmed cases of COVID-19 reported in City of Cleveland, no new deaths