MAYFIELD, Ohio (WJW) — A pair of four-win teams face off in the FOX 8 Friday Night Touchdown Game of the Week.
Mayfield head football coach Ross Bandera told FOX 8 he expected a shoot-out and it was like that from the start.
Michael Huss hit Tim Steffans on the 30-yard pass, which set up the Wildcats at the Nordonia 26-yard line.
That play set up Huss on the quarterback keeper. He scored from 4-yards out and Mayfield took a 7-point lead.
Nordonia goes for it on 4th down. Joel Jones makes the catch and converts the first down.
The Knights converted two fourth down plays and score on a 2-yard touchdown run by Sal Perrine and we’re knotted at 7.
On the next Mayfield possession, Huss is getting it done on the ground. He goes 17-yards down to the Nordonia 13-yard line.
On the very next play, Joey Dostal goes in untouched from 13-yards out and Mayfield is back on top, leading by 7.
Then, Nordonia responds. A catch by Matt Hayes; it’s a 40-yard gain. It would set up a Nordonia field goal but Mayfield advances with a 55-31 win.
GET THE LATEST HEADLINES FROM FOX8.COM:
- Celebrate the season at Severance Hall with The Cleveland Orchestra
- Body found in East Cleveland field identified
- Most expensive homes that recently sold in Cleveland
- Watch live: Cleveland remembers the attack on Pearl Harbor 80 years later
- Biden administration talks diplomacy as Russian troops mass at Ukraine border