Recipe by Chef Stacey Stoudemire, of Simply Elegant Catering, in honor of Abby Fisher
- 2 pounds of collard greens
- 1 ham hock or 6 slices of cooked bacon
- 1 medium onion, sliced or chopped
- 1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper
- 2 to 3 teaspoons Kosher salt
Clean and wash greens well; remove tough stems and ribs. Cut them up and place in a deep pot; add onion. Wash off ham hock and add to the pot. Add red pepper and salt. Add enough water to cover greens and cook until tender, about 1 hour. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve with sliced tomato and corn bread.
Serves 4 to 6.