- 1 lb rigatoni
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 slice pancetta about ¼ inch thick chopped into ¼ inch dice
- 1 medium onion minced
- 2 cloves garlic smashed and minced
- ¼ tsp or more red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp fresh oregano minced (basil or whatever you like)
- 1 small eggplant (or 2 baby eggplants) cut into ½ inch cubes
- Several pinches of salt
- 1 can (28oz) whole peeled tomatoes cut up into pieces
- ½ tsp sugar
- ½ C. Water
- 1 can (18 oz) can white kidney beans drained
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbs fresh basil chopped
- 1/3 C. Grated parmesan or Romano
Heat olive oil in large sauté pan over medium high heat.
Add pancetta and cook about 3 minutes.
Add onion and cook until translucent (about 5 minutes).
Add garlic, red pepper flakes and herbs of choice. When garlic gets fragrant, add eggplant with a few pinches of salt. Cook about 5 minutes.
Chop up whole tomatoes with scissors while still in can. Pour tomatoes with sugar into pan along with ½ cup of water. Bring to a fast simmer, reduce heat to low simmer and cook about 10 minutes.
Add beans, salt and pepper to taste and cook another 5-10 minutes. While beans heat into sauce, prepare pasta according to directions on box.
Serve with fresh chopped basil and a little grated cheese.