- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 ½ lb. Ground beef
- 1 ½ lb ground pork
- Several large pinches of salt to taste
- 1 tbs chili powder
- 1 tbs ground ancho
- 1 tbs dry oregano
- 1 tsp ground red chipotle
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp fresh cracked pepper
- ½ tsp seasoned salt (or kosher salt)
- 1 15oz can stewed tomatoes
- 1 15oz can tomato sauce
- 1 15oz can rinsed and drained dark red kidney beans
- 1 15 oz can rinsed and drained light red kidney beans
- 2 oz. Chopped bittersweet or unsweetened baking chocolate
* optional. Serve over pasta or elbow macaroni (package directions)
Garnish with sour cream or shredded Mexican cheese
Heat oil in a soup or chili pot over medium high heat.
Add onions and cook about 5 minutes or until onions begin to soften. Add the garlic with a pinch of salt and cook 1 minute.
Add meat to pot with a couple pinches of salt and cook until all raw color disappears.
Stir in all of the seasonings and cook several minutes.
Fold in tomato sauce, stewed tomatoes and chocolate. Bring to a strong simmer, then gently stir in beans. Reduce heat and slow simmer 30 minutes.
You can serve this Cincinnati style over pasta or macaroni, or just straight up in a bowl garnished with sour cream and Mexican style shredded cheese.