- Juice from 4 or 5 limes
- Juice from 1 lemon
- ¾ C. raw, cleaned and shelled, medium shrimp cut into 3 pieces
- ½ C. raw bay scallops
- 2 seeded and chopped plum tomatoes
- ½ C. mango diced
- 1/3 C. sweet onion chopped
- ¼ c. seedless cucumber diced
- 1 tbs chopped cilantro
- ½ tsp hot green pepper minced
- ½ tsp red pepper minced
- 1 avocado cut into cubes
- Hot sauce to taste
1. Put lime and lemon juice in a medium glass or stainless steel bowl.
2. Add shrimp and scallops. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 12 hours.
3. Add remaining ingredients, except the avocado and hot sauce.
4. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for another hour or two.
5. Serve with fresh cubes or slices of avocado . Hot sauce to taste.
- 1- 8 oz. container of fresh shucked oysters
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ¾ cup white corn meal
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 or 2 tsp of your favorite spicy dry rub
- Spicy dipping sauce of choice
- Lemon slices
1. Place 2 inches of vegetable oil in a deep fry pan or pot heated to 375F. A deep fryer works great.
2. Drain oysters and place in buttermilk. Combine corn meal, flour and seasoning on a deep plate. Mix thoroughly. Pick up an oyster with a fork, shake off excess buttermilk and dredge in corn meal mixture.
3. Carefully place in oil (no splashing). Cook 1 minute. If you’re using a frying pan or pot, turn gently and cook one minute more. A deep fryer should take about 2 minutes. Cook 5 or six at a time.
4. Serve with a squeeze of lemon and sauce of choice.