Compliments of: Whole Foods
Rainbow Kale Salad
- 1 bunch lacinato (a.k.a. dinosaur) kale, thick stems removed and leaves thinly sliced
- 4 cups shredded red cabbage (about 1 small head), quartered and cored)
- 2 navel oranges or Clementines, peeled and segmented
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, cored, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (from about 1 small orange)
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
In a large bowl, combine kale, cabbage, orange segments, onion, bell pepper and sunflower seeds.
In a small bowl, whisk together mustard, orange juice, vinegar and pepper.
Pour over the kale mixture and toss to coat. Serve immediately
Kale & Apple Sauté
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large red onion, halved and sliced
- 2 medium apples, cored and cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 bunch kale, well rinsed
Heat oil in a large sauté pan with a lid over medium heat.
Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally until tender, about 4 minutes.
Add apples, vinegar and salt and pepper
Cover and cook until apples are just tender, 3 to 4 minutes more.
Meanwhile, remove and discard tough stems from kale.
Gather a few leaves at a time, roll together like a cigar and slice into thin ribbons.
Add kale to pan, stir and cook, covered, until kale is tender, about 3 minutes longer.
Serve with your favorite Meat or Seafood!!! Halibut is my choice when it is in season!