This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Yogurt Recipe (for 1 quart)
- 1 quart of milk (can be non-fat, 2% or whole)
- 1/4 – ½ cup of yogurt in a bowl (any style will work – I use plain Greek)
- Berries (optional)
- Granola (optional)
- Stainless steel pot with lid or heavy ceramic pot
- Spoon to stir
- A large towel (or blanket)
- Pour milk in pot and turn the heat up to medium-high. Do not cover the pot. Use spoon to stir as milk heats up.
- Watch the milk as it can quickly overflow once it’s hot.
- Once the milk reaches 180F, remove from heat.
- Let it cool down until it reaches 110 F. You can place pot in cool water and stir to expedite cooling.
- Pour ½ – 1 cup of warm milk into the yogurt in a bowl and whisk together. Add this mix to the pot of cooled milk – stir together completely.
- Cover the pot with a lid, wrap it in a blanket, and put it in a turned-off oven for about 5 hours. Do not turn the oven on. You can turn on oven light for a heat source.
- Remove the pot from the oven and transfer the yogurt in a bowl. Refrigerate. You can remove excess fluid (whey) if a thicker consistency is desired.
- When ready to eat, you can add flavorings, cut-up fruits, granola, honey, etc.