Grilled Bloody Mary Skirt Steak
with Tomato Horseradish Butter and Grilled Celery
Compliments of: Bob Sferra, Culinary Occasions
- 2 ½ -3 lbs skirt steak
- 3 cups spicy Bloody Mary mix or tomato juice with 2 Tablespoons hot sauce
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- ⅓ cup vodka
- 6 to 8 celery stalks, trimmed and peeled
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 recipe Tomato Horseradish Butter (recipe follows), brought to room temperature
1. Pierce each steak several times with a wooden skewer or meat fork.
2. Combine the Bloody Mary mix, sugar and vodka; stir until the sugar is dissolved. Set aside 1 cup of the marinade to be used for basting the steaks.
3. Place the steaks and celery stalks in a shallow dish or a zip-top bag. Pour the remaining Bloody Mary marinade over the steaks and celery, coating them evenly. Cover and refrigerate for 1 to 1½ hours, turning occasionally.
4. Remove the steaks and celery from the marinade; discard this marinade. Pat the steaks dry with paper towels. Brush the steaks with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
5. Preheat a grill to medium-high. Clean the grates with a stiff brush, then oil liberally to prevent sticking. (Note: To use a grill pan, preheat a lightly oiled grill pan to medium-high heat.
6. Place the steaks and celery on the grill grate or in the grill pan. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, then, without turning the steaks or celery over, rotate them 90° and place them back on the grill or grill pan; this will produce beautiful brown cross-hatch grill marks. Cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes.
7. Turn the steaks and celery over, brush them with some of the reserved marinade, and repeat the cooking process on the second side. Cook the celery until just tender when pierced with the tip of a small knife or skewer. Cook the steaks to an internal temperature of 130° to 135°F for medium rare.* When the steaks and celery are almost done, brush each with some of the tomato horseradish butter.
8. Transfer the celery to a platter and keep warm. Transfer the steaks to a cutting board with a well and let rest for 5 minutes. Slice the steaks on the bias into ¼-inch thick slices. Cut the celery on the bias into 2-inch length pieces. Attractively arrange the steak slice and celery pieces on a plate or platter and brush with the remaining tomato horseradish butter; serve immediately.
*Note: For medium doneness cook steaks an additional 1 to 2 minutes per side or until they reach and internal temperature of 140 to145°F. For medium well steaks, cook steaks an additional 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until they reach an internal temperature of 150° to 155°F .
Tomato Horseradish Butter
(Makes ¼ cup)
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, brought to room temperature
- 1 oil-packed sun dried tomato, drained and minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Combine all ingredients and stir to mix thoroughly. Taste and correct seasoning as needed.