- 3 or 4 lbs chicken tenders (or cut up chicken pieces)
- 1 3 1/2 pound can of shortening
Heat shortening* (or peanut oil) in deep, heavy bottom pan over medium heat to 350 degrees.
Oil should be at least 2 inches deep. Attach deep fry thermometer to pan to monitor temperature.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tbs dry rub seasoning (see recipe below)
- 2 tsp table salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
Combine ingredients on a plate and mix thoroughly.
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup milk (2 percent or skim)
- 1 tsp salt
- Several shakes of hot sauce (Frank’s, Tabasco, etc…)
Combine eggs, milk, salt, and hot sauce in a deep dish plate.
Season chicken with salt and pepper.
Dredge chicken in flour, shake off excess and dip into egg mixture. Allow excess egg to drip off and dredge in flour again. Shake off excess and carefully drop into 350 degree oil. Cook about 8 minutes (you can cook 7 or 8 at a time).
Maintain oil temperature between 325 and 360. When golden brown, remove to plate covered with paper towels.
- 2 tbs paprika
- 2 tbs salt
- 2 tbs garlic powder
- 1 tbs onion powder
- 1 tbs cayenne pepper
- 1 tbs dried oregano (can be ground)
- 1 tbs dried thyme (can be ground)
* A product like Crisco works best. Vegetable oil gives off a bad odor when heated to 350 that leaves a bad odor in the house.