Courtesy of:The Olive Scene
Serve this hearty, warm breakfast to your family and friends without adding stress to your morning. It’s more biscuit than quiche, and the fillings can be adjusted according to your family’s tastes. Try chicken sausage for a more health-conscious version, or add bacon crumbles if your family can’t get enough bacon! For a vegetarian version, leave out the sausage, increase the amount of mushrooms and add a few handfuls of chopped spinach.
- 2 tablespoons Olive Scene Wild Mushroom & Sage Infused Olive Oil, divided (can also use our All-Natural Butter, Tuscan Herb, Cilantro & Roasted Onion, or Garlic olive oil flavors)
- 1/2 bulk sausage
- 6 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 3/4 cup sliced green onions with tops (reserve ¼ cup for garnish)
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped (reserve ¼ cup for garnish)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (about 8 ounces)
- 1¼ c flour
- 1 ¾ t baking powder
- ½ tsp dried oregano leaves
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon Olive Scene Butter All-Natural Infused Olive Oil(can also use your favorite single varietal olive oil)
- 12 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- Heat 1 tablespoon of Mushroom & Sage Olive Oil in a frying pan over medium heat until shimmering.
- Sauté sausage until cooked through, about 8 minutes. Remove sausage from the pan and drain on paper towels.
- Spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Spread the cooked sausage in the baking dish and set aside.
- In same frying pan used to cook the sausage, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of Mushroom & Sage Olive Oil until simmering.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté until they begin to soften and release their liquid, about 3 minutes. Add the green onion to the pan and continue to cook the vegetables until they are soft, about 3 more minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and onions to the baking dish with the sausage. If there’s liquid or oil left in the sauté pan, discard it. Layer the tomatoes, and cheese in the baking dish on top of the vegetables.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, oregano, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Add the Butter Olive Oil and blend together with a fork.
- Decide if you’re using a stand mixer or a hand mixer for step #11. Combine the eggs and milk in the stand mixer bowl or a large mixing bowl (if using a hand mixer).
- If prepping recipe the night before, stop at this point. If not, proceed to step #10. Cover and refrigerate the eggs and milk. Cover and refrigerate the baking dish with the sausage and vegetables. Cover and set aside the bowl with the flour mixture.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the eggs and milk together until smooth. Gradually add the flour mixture to the eggs and beat until there are no lumps of flour.