This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
“Pasulj” (Balkan style bean soup)
- 3 cups pinto beans
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 head of garlic
- ½ cup diced smoked bacon
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- ½ slab smoked pork ribs
- 1 package Slovenian smoked sausages (served as side dish)
- Vegeta all purpose seasoning
- Wheat flour and Hungarian paprika for Roux mixture
- Chopped parsley
- Boil the prewashed beans in pot for 20 min
- While boiling beans, in a separate pot add 3 tbsp sunflower oil and ½ cup diced smoked bacon and sauté for 5 min on low-medium heat
- After 5 min add 1 cup diced onions, ½ head of garlic, 1 cup diced carrots, 1 cup diced celery and 3-4 bay leaves to the sautéed bacon and continue to sauté for 20 min on medium-high heat and add water to sauté as needed to prevent from burning.
- Drain cooked beans.
- Add 10 cups warm water and the cooked beans to the pot with the sautéed vegetables and bacon. Add crushed hot pepper as desired to spice up. Cook on medium heat while stirring occasionally for 1 ½ hours.
- While cooking the beans, boil over the precut smoked ribs in a separate pot and drain the water.
- After 1 ½ hours add the boiled smoked ribs to the pot with the beans.
- Leave on low heat for additional 1 hour while stirring occasionally.
- Add 3-4 tbsp sunflower oil to a sauté pan with 2 tbsp all purpose wheat flour on low heat and stir until the flour start to lightly brown. Add the second half of the chopped garlic head to the Roux mixture and cook additional ½ min. Remove sauté pan from heat then add 1 tbsp Hungarian paprika and mix into the Roux and then immediately at to the bean soup and stir.
- Add parsley to bean soup as desired and enjoy.