Marc’s Great American Rib Cook-Off & Music Festival
Today – May 27, 2013
For more information, visit: www.fox8.com/rib
- Marc’s Amateur Grilling Competition will give contestants three racks of ribs and two and a half hours to create one award-winning barbecue masterpiece. The competition will take place Saturday, May 25 at 12:00 p.m. with five competitors vying for ultimate bragging rights.
- Ten teams from across the country are returning to Northeast Ohio to try and out-grill their opponents. The teams are vying to win the coveted “Chuck Collier Greatest Ribs in America,” “Butch Lupinetti Greatest Sauce in America” and “People’s Choice” awards. Grill team Porky ‘N’ Beans, from Port St. Lucie, Florida, swept all three categories last year, returning to defend their title. Awards will be crowned Monday, May 27 at 4:00 p.m.
FAMOUS DAVE’S BBQ (MINNESOTA) – 2010 and 2011 “People’s Choice” Winner
The Plymouth, Minnesota-based Famous Dave’s BBQ has won over 400 “Best In Class” awards and has been part of the Cleveland rib cook-off tradition for more than 15 years. Famous Dave’s owner Dave Anderson knows a thing or two about grilling up good barbecue and is most proud of his renowned “Rich & Sassy” sauce. Visit www.famousdaves.com.
CAROLINA RIB KING (SOUTH CAROLINA)
Solomon Williams, who is known in barbecue circles as King Solomon, is a fan favorite in Northeast Ohio. By combining his love of people, his honor of heritage and his passion for barbecuing, this grilling guru has racked up Cleveland cook-off awards for “Greatest Ribs in America,” “Greatest Sauce in America” and “People’s Choice” throughout the years. Solomon dry rubs his award-winning ribs with a blend of homemade seasonings and then smothers every bone with a sweet tomato-based sauce. Visit www.carolinaribking.com.
BUTCH’S SMACK YOUR LIPS BBQ (NEW JERSEY)
Butch’s family and their successful franchise returns to Cleveland with their colorful personalities and drool-worthy barbecue recipes in hopes to win the title of “Butch Lupinetti Greatest Sauce in America,” a title named in honor of the late Butch Lupinetti, founder of this award-winning BBQ team. This year, the grilling team from Mt. Laurel, New Jersey, featuring Butch’s daughter Alyson Lupinetti at the grill, will also mark its 22nd appearance at the cook-off. With six sensational sauces and more than 500 awards, Butch’s Smack Your Lips BBQ has traveled and competed across the U.S. and Canada for over 25 years. Visit www.smackyourlipsbbq.com.
JOHNSON’S BBQ (VIRGINIA)
Dan Johnson cooks his ribs with indirect heat and won’t add his award-winning sauce until the bones are ready to come off the grill. The sweet Texas-style sauce is an old family recipe that originated in North Carolina. The top-secret recipe has won the Chesapeake, Virginia, grilling team accolades in Cleveland and across the country. Johnson’s BBQ is always a crowd pleaser and the long lines at the grill prove it! Dan dares brave rib fans to take on the heat and experience his infamous “Thermonuclear Sauce.” It’s an electrifying concoction that is smokin’ hot and Natalie tried it!! Check out our video clip!
ENTERTAINMENT ON THREE STAGES:
- Mega 80’s The Ultimate 80’s Retro Party – Friday, May 24 – 9:00 p.m.
- Rick Springfield – Saturday, May 25 – 9:00 p.m.
- Buddy Guy – Sunday, May 26 – 9:00 p.m.
- Bret Michaels – Monday, May 27 – 6:00 p.m.
- On Friday, May 24, the cook-off will salute The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum grand opening of the long-awaited Rolling Stones exhibit, Rolling Stones: 50 Years of Satisfaction, with an all-star line-up of local musicians lead by Cleveland’s own Jim Tigue and Eroc presenting The Rolling Stones Set!