CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) — A West Virginia police officer has died two days after being shot by a suspect while responding to a parking complaint.
The city of Charleston announced officer Cassie Johnson’s death in a news release Thursday. She was 28 years old.
Johnson joined the city as a humane officer in October 2017. She was sworn in as a patrol officer in January 2019.
Charleston Police Chief Tyke Hunt called Johnson an exemplary police officer who was courageous, compassionate and selfless for the citizens of the city that she loved.
Tributes to Johnson have poured in from state officials, including both of West Virginia’s U.S. senators.
Get the latest headlines from FOX8.com below:
- Watch Live: Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine gives update on coronavirus vaccine rollout
- Republicans reintroduce amendment to impose term limits on members of Congress
- Westlake police warn of recent residential burglaries, asking for public’s help
- Senate confirms Antony Blinken as 71st secretary of state
- Miley Cyrus to play Super Bowl concert for vaccinated frontline workers