Marita Hile, 64, of Westville, Illinois, was shot around 12:30 p.m. Sunday while driving near a gas station in Tilton, Illinois, said investigators with the Vermilion County Sheriff’s Department.
Officers said Hile and the child, a relative of the woman, were traveling in the car when the child found a gun. The child accidentally fired the gun into the driver seat and hit Hile, according to the Champaign County coroner.
Hile crashed the car into a sign at the gas station. She was taken to an Urbana, Illinois, hospital, where officers said she died from the gunshot wound.
The incident is under investigation.
**Related video: Officials talk about crime in Cleveland, below**
Read the latest posts on FOX8.com:
- ‘Little has changed’: Man whose father died in his arms during Dayton shooting still fighting for change one year later
- Drive-Ins RT: BK Rootbeer Drive In
- Drive-Ins RT: African Safari Wildlife Park
- Drive-Ins RT: Aut-O-Rama Drive-In
- August 3, 2020 Road Trip: Drive-Ins