Marita Hile, 64, of Westville, Illinois, was shot around 12:30 p.m. Sunday while driving near a gas station in Tilton, Illinois, said investigators with the Vermilion County Sheriff’s Department.
Officers said Hile and the child, a relative of the woman, were traveling in the car when the child found a gun. The child accidentally fired the gun into the driver seat and hit Hile, according to the Champaign County coroner.
Hile crashed the car into a sign at the gas station. She was taken to an Urbana, Illinois, hospital, where officers said she died from the gunshot wound.
The incident is under investigation.
**Related video: Officials talk about crime in Cleveland, below**
Read the latest posts on FOX8.com:
- ‘He’s stable right now and resting’: Browns WR Ryan Switzer provides update on infant son’s surgery, COVID battle
- Search continues for man and woman last seen in Lorain over a month ago
- Three officers injured while responding to ‘massive’ college party
- Police search for 73-year-old man with dementia missing from Elyria
- Ohio school district requiring students to double mask when in-person learning resumes