SHAKER HEIGHTS, Ohio (WJW) – Firefighters are investigating a fatal house fire in Shaker Heights Wednesday afternoon.

It happened just after noon at a multi-family residence in the 3600 block of Strathavon Road.

Katherine Anita West, 65, was found in the basement by first responders and pronounced dead at the scene. It’s believed that she was trying to escape the smoke at the time.

A man and two children were evacuated out of the home and taken to a nearby hospital with minor injuries.

Fire chief Pat Sweeney says a couple who also lived in the home were able to escape by jumping out of a window.

According to the fire chief, they believe the fire was caused by clothing or bedding too close to a space heater in a first floor bedroom.

Sweeney said it’s possible the family have been using the space heater as the sole source of heating, which he said people shouldn’t do.