HARPSWELL, Maine (AP) – The state Marine Patrol says a woman has been killed in an apparent shark attack off the coast of Maine, a rare occurrence that has only been recorded once before in the state by an unprovoked shark.
Marine Patrol says a witness saw the woman swimming Monday off the shore of Bailey Island when she was injured in what appeared to be a shark attack.
Two kayakers helped her get to shore, and an ambulance provided further assistance. But she was pronounced dead at the scene.
The name of the woman was not available Monday. A New England shark expert says there has only been one unprovoked shark attack recorded in Maine.
Get caught up on the latest headlines on FOX8.com below:
- Local healthcare workers keep busy on Thanksgiving as COVID-19 cases continue to rise
- Schools struggle to stay open as quarantines sideline staff
- I-TEAM: COVID-19 survivors share stories of hope as they celebrate Thanksgiving
- Have Thanksgiving leftovers? USDA offers tips on how to safely store them for later
- 10-year-old boy sets up hot cocoa stand to help raise money for non-profit