(WJW) – Walmart will no longer sell “All Lives Matter” merchandise on its website.
The nation’s largest retailer is removing the items which are sold by third-party sellers after hearing concerns from some employees and customers.
The backlash erupted on social media, where people criticized the company for allegedly “mocking” the Black Lives Matter movement, which has come to symbolize a call to action against racism and police killings of Black people.
“We fundamentally believe all lives do matter and every individual deserves respect,” Walmart said in a statement. “However, as we listened, we came to understand that the way some, but not all, people are using the phrase ‘All Lives Matter’ in the current environment intentionally minimized the focus on the painful reality of racial inequity.”
Here are the latest headlines from FOX 8
- NYPD cops ordered to patrol in uniform, prepare for mobilization after Trump indictment
- Schumer on indictment: Trump ‘is subject to the same laws as every American’
- Why charges against Trump don’t prevent him from running for president
- ‘Cyber terrorist’ indicted in ‘swatting’ spree
- Heavy rain to start Friday; showers continue into weekend