CLEVELAND (WJW) — A Marine from Northeast Ohio who was shot and killed at a North Carolina barracks earlier this month has returned home.

A dignified transfer of the remains of 19-year-old Lance Cpl. Austin B. Schwenk proceeded Tuesday evening from Cleveland Hopkins International Airport to Brunner Sanden Deitrick Funeral Home & Cremation Center in Mentor.

Once at the funeral home, U.S. Marine Corps pall bearers carried his casket inside.

Friends and family can pay their respects at a public visitation from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 3, at the Mentor funeral home, 8466 Mentor Ave.

Schwenk’s public funeral service is planned for 10 a.m. on Saturday, Nov. 4, at Riverside High School Field House, 585 Riverside Drive in Painesville Township, which was Schwenk’s alma mater.

The procession will leave BSDFH at approximately 9:10 a.m. and arrive at RHS Field House around 9:30 a.m. The route is as follows:

-Leave Brunner Sanden Deitrick Funeral Home & Cremation Center and travel eastbound on State Route 20 
-Turn right onto South State Street 
-Follow South State Street and veer left onto Bank St.  
-Follow Bank St. to Walnut St. and turn left on Walnut St. 
-Take Walnut St. to Riverside Dr.  
-Continue on Riverside Dr., go past the actual high school building and enter the southernmost drive of the high school property.  

Watch previous FOX 8 News coverage in the player below:

Schwenk joined the Marines after graduating from Riverside High in 2022.

“He was so proud of being a Marine. Ever since he could speak, he has wanted to be a Marine,” Schwenk’s mother Kassandra Christison told FOX 8 News.

While at specialty schooling, he trained to “repair ground ordnance lasers, night vision devices and small missile and fire control equipment,” reads his obituary. He was later stationed in the armory at Camp Lejeune in North Carolina, where he was promoted to lance corporal.

“He was driven, he never gave up, he listened. When things needed to get done, he got them done,” said James Gridiron, who helped train Austin Schwenk as he was about to enter into the Marines.

He earned the National Defense Service Medal and marksman awards in handguns and rifles, according to his obituary.

Schwenk died after being shot Wednesday, Oct. 18, in what the Marines described as an “isolated incident between two Marines,” reported

“It doesn’t matter, peacetime, war time, it’s in God’s time and it’s just a shame that it was one of his brothers, because these are people you depend on and you know, you fight side by side with them,” said family friend Thomas Young.

Base authorities took the suspect into custody that night, according to a statement. Schwenk’s murder is now under investigation.

“He gave his life for this country and he deserves the respect from everybody,” said Young.