CLEVELAND- If you’re heading to today”s Cleveland Indians Home Opener, the Cleveland Cavaliers game, or just plan on spending time in downtown Cleveland, there are some things you’ll need to know to make getting around a little easier.
No parking will be allowed in the following areas:
- East 9th Street – Euclid Avenue to Carnegie Avenue
- Huron Road – Ontario Street to Prospect Avenue
- Prospect Avenue – Ontario Street to East 14th Street
- Erie Court – East 9th Street to East 14th Street
- Sumner Court – East 9th Street to East 14th Street
- East 4th Street – Huron Road to Prospect Avenue
- East 2nd Street – High Street to Prospect Avenue
- Bolivar Road – East 9th St to East 7th Street
- East 6th Street – Prospect Avenue to Eagle Avenue
Cleveland police and the City of Cleveland say signs will be posted. They say illegally-parked vehicles will be towed at the owner’s expense and can be picked up at the division’s One Stop Impound Lot located at 3040 Quigley Road.
The following tips are also suggested:
- Ride RTA: RTA will operate extra rail service for Friday’s events. *CLICK HERE for more details*
- Use trolleys: They are free and allow people to park farther away and catch the trolley anywhere downtown.
- Arrive early to your destination. Officials say if you plan on going to the Indians Home Opener, leave early enough to give yourself extra travel time so you don’t miss pregame festivities. Progressive Field gates OPEN at 2:00PM with first pitch at 4:10PM. If you plan on attending the Cleveland Cavaliers game at 7:30 pm, plan to arrive BEFORE the ending of the Indians game. *YOUR COMPLETE HOME OPENER GUIDE HERE*
- Familiarize yourself with downtown parking garages and surface lots – understand that the lots nearest the ballpark generally fill up first.
- Be aware of increased pedestrian traffic particularly around Progressive Field.
ODOT is also reminding drivers of the following:
- If you are traveling and use I-77 south to exit downtown, you will notice changes as the East 9th and Ontario Street ramps to I-77 south have been permanently relocated. Outbound I-77 traffic now uses a wider, more attractive boulevard along Orange Avenue. The E 14th Street entrance to I-77 south has been improved and Broadway Avenue also provides a great alternate to reach I-77. For a map of alternate routes, please click here.
- Drivers who use I-71 north or I-90 east to enter downtown are also reminded that the Ontario Street exit ramp is temporarily closed and you should use East 9th Street instead.
Stay with FOX 8 News and FOX8.com for complete coverage leading up to and on the day of the Home Opener.
**For more on downtown parking, watch Matt Wright’s report below**