COLUMBUS (WJW) — The Ohio Senate passed legislation today that would designate Feb. 18 as “Toni Morrison Day” throughout the state.
HB 325 was originally penned by State Reps. Joe Miller of Amherst and Stephanie Howse of Cleveland, both Democrats.
The Lorain native and famed author passed away last year. She was 88.
“Toni Morrison’s life and timeless works stirred our souls, challenged our conscience to confront injustices, and encouraged the rest of the world to do the same,” Howse said in a statment. “The designation of Toni Morrison Day will be forever cherished by Ohioans, people around the globe.”
The bill is now headed toward Gov. DeWine’s desk for approval into law.
Get the latest headlines on FOX8.com below:
- Westlake police warn of recent residential burglaries, asking for public’s help
- Senate confirms Antony Blinken as 71st secretary of state
- Miley Cyrus to play Super Bowl concert for vaccinated frontline workers
- Kellyanne Conway accused of tweeting topless photo of 16-year-old daughter
- WATCH: Dashcam video of police chase involving Cleveland mayor’s grandson