CANTON, Ohio (WJW) – Fire officials have released the cause of an apartment fire last week that led to a 71-year-old man’s death.

Shortly before midnight on Thursday, Oct. 26, fire crews pulled three people from smoke and fire inside a Canton apartment building.

A 71-year-old man later died of his injuries, city officials reported Friday.

The fire broke out in the living room of a basement apartment unit at 1818 Trinity Pl. NW on Thursday, Oct. 26. It was ruled accidental and caused by careless smoking, Canton Fire Department Battalion Chief Steven Henderson wrote in a Tuesday news release.

Crews said when they arrived, they found fire coming from the basement apartment, and heavy smoke throughout the rest of the building.

The smoky conditions made it difficult for those on the second floor to escape and crews had to pull two people from the upstairs windows.

Crews also pulled a man from the apartment where the fire started and was transported to a nearby hospital with life-threatening injuries, according to a press release from the fire department.

That man, identified as 71-year-old Ronald Mikes, later died of his injuries.

Two other occupants were treated at the scene for non-life-threatening injuries.

The Red Cross is now assisting several displaced residents. It’s not clear what started the fire. The fire remains under investigation.

The damages are estimated at $25,000.