Euclid Police Chief Scott Meyer confirmed that information to the FOX 8 I-Team.
Police had responded to a call of shots fired around 4:30 a.m. at 20670 Lakeland Blvd. at the Midway Lounge.
Police sources say the suspect tried to ram a police cruiser, which is when the officer opened fire.
A press release from the Euclid Police Department says the suspect was hit by police gunfire.
Police recovered a gun at the scene.
The suspect took off in a vehicle after the shooting and crashed on I-90 just before 5 a.m.
The suspect is in surgery and no officers were injured.
I-90 was shut down at E. 156th for about 5 hours while investigators gathered information at the scene.
Agents with the State Bureau of Criminal Investigation are on scene and a part of that investigation.
They are typically called when there is an incident involving an officer’s use of force.
Here are the latest headlines from FOX 8
- Ohio expects batch of COVID-19 vaccine around Dec. 15
- How Ohio and other states cook Thanksgiving turkey: roast, deep-fry, smoke
- President Trump, first lady Melania Trump pardon Thanksgiving turkey in annual White House tradition
- These are the Thanksgiving foods safe for your pets to eat
- Ohio’s top doctor warns of gathering over Thanksgiving