According to police, Harold Warren Jarrell has been identified as Kelly’s killer. Police say DNA from Jarrell’s family, who cooperated with police, linked him to Kelly’s murder.
“All of these years of this case being open and numerous detectives working on it, it is satisfying to let the family know what happened to their little girl though it doesn’t bring her back. There are cases that stick with detectives forever and this is one of those for all of us,” said Det. Dana Croom, CPD Cold Case Unit.
Kelly was abducted while walking home from Indianola Elementary School on September 20, 1982. Her body was discovered in a Madison County cornfield two days later.
Kelly’s family released the following statement:
Columbus police held a news conference at 1:30 p.m., Friday to discuss the case and how their podcast helped detectives get answers in Kelly’s case.
You can watch the full news conference in the video above.
LATEST HEADLINES FROM FOX 8:
- Battle of Ohio: Browns hold off Bengals, give Stefanski first win as coach
- No tailgating, no crowds: Browns home opener totally different experience for fans this year
- U.S. Marshals arrest 262 suspects, find 5 missing children in Oklahoma operation
- Cooler temps continue Friday, will stick around for the last weekend of summer
- Akron police investigating after two people hurt during shooting at high school football game