This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

EAST CLEVELAND– A convicted sex offender has been arrested after officers found a woman’s decomposing body in his garage, police said.

Michael Madison, 35, of East Cleveland, was arrested following a standoff Friday afternoon at his mother’s home on East 197th Street and Chickasaw Avenue in Cleveland, police said.

Several people said they called police Friday morning before 11 a.m. complaining about a foul odor coming from a garage on Shaw Avenue just south of Hayden Avenue.

“I went to get my tools in the garage and the smell next to mine was so bad. I called police and they went in and found a plastic bag,” said a man who did not want to be identified.

“I said, that’s something; something is dead. I was hoping it was an animal. So, I told him, I’m going to call the police – at least they can come over here and see,” Mickey Stovall-Brown said.

Neighbors said they complained about the smell for about a week.

“The garage was locked so entry was forced. Inside, we did recover a body,” said Detective Sgt. Scott Gardner, with the East Cleveland Police Department.

“They found a black bag, wrapped up in a pink cover. It was a body,” Stovall-Brown said.

The Medical Examiner’s Office has not released the victim’s identification. An autopsy is scheduled to be performed.

“We had information that he had been trying to start the car lately. We believe he was going to try and get rid of the body at some point, but the car didn’t start,” East Cleveland Police Chief Ralph Spotts said.

Police searched Madison’s nearby apartment but he was not there.

Police found Madison at his mother’s home on Chickasaw Avenue in Cleveland, but he would not come out, which prompted a SWAT standoff.

Cleveland Police brought out the tank, with a battering-rod on it, and cordoned off the streets for several blocks.

“Once they knocked the door down, he walked out, no incident, surrendered to police,” Spotts said, adding Madison was in the home alone.

He was arrested. As of Friday night he was not formally charged.

Court records show Madison was convicted in 2002 of attempted rape on a woman and was sentenced to four years in prison. He was also required to register as a sexual offender.

*Read more on the story here*