IVEY, Ga. (AP) — Investigators say a 12-year-old Georgia girl may have died as an indirect result of a severe lice infestation that may have gone on for years.
The details on the death of Kaitlyn Yozviak were discussed during a preliminary hearing Monday.
A Wilkinson County judge ruled there is enough evidence for second-degree murder charges against parents Mary Katherine “Katie” Horton and Joey Yozviak to go forward to a grand jury.
Authorities say medical records show Kaitlyn died from cardiac arrest with a secondary cause being severe anemia.
Officials say repeated bites from the lice lowered the girl’s blood iron levels, possibly causing anemia and triggering the cardiac attack.
Get the latest headlines from FOX8.com below:
- Police: Florida man stole bulldozer, ran down Biden signs
- ‘We are blowing up the precedent’: Dems argue against vote to confirm Trump’s Supreme Court nominee
- 14-year-old boy with Asperger syndrome beaten to death
- Orange and Brown digital show assesses Cleveland’s victory over the Bengals, OBJ’s injury
- Ohio surpasses 200,000 coronavirus cases, as 2,116 new cases reported Monday