AKRON, Ohio (WJW) – The Ohio State Highway Patrol tells FOX 8 a driver headed the wrong way in the southbound lanes of State Route 8 caused the fatal crash that has shut down the highway for several hours between Akron and Cuyahoga Falls.
The accident happened just before 4:30 a.m. Tuesday.
OSHP says the driver headed the wrong way drove head-on into a commercial vehicle.
FOX 8 video from the scene showed the other vehicle was a semi-truck.
No one involved has been identified.
Akron police say the crash was fatal but have not released more information.
Video at the scene shows investigators searching the woods off the highway and eventually pulling out a vehicle that belonged to the wrong-way driver.
State Route 8 remains closed at State Route 59 to Broad Blvd.
There’s no word on when the road might reopen.
Stay with FOX 8 for more as this story develops.
Here are the latest headlines from FOX 8
- Missing: Katie Michelle Leister
- Much cooler temps prevail Tuesday following storms
- Aftermath: Northeast Ohioans clean up after severe storms rip through area
- ‘Open and affirming’: Chesterland church replaces stolen pride flag dozens of times
- Former Glenville football star Frank Clark arrested in LA on suspicion of having concealed gun