OCALA, Fla. (AP) — A Florida high school dean has been fired for using medical marijuana that was prescribed to treat post-traumatic stress disorder he incurred in the Marines. The Marion County School Board voted 5-0 Wednesday to fire Mike Hickman.
The board said that while medical marijuana is legal in Florida, it is illegal under federal law and its use violates district policy. The district had offered to suspend Hickman if he agreed not to use medical marijuana in the future, but he refused. Hickman fought in Desert Storm in the early 1990s. His attorney called the firing “unfortunate.”
The district learned of Hickman’s usage after he was injured breaking up a fight.
Read the latest headlines on FOX8.com below:
- No fans at home games in December for Pittsburgh Steelers
- Browns CB Ward to miss time with calf injury, reports say
- Voices of Unity: Spoken word for social justice
- Expiration dates extended on Ohio driver licenses, ID’s, and vehicle registrations
- Pennsylvania certifies Biden as winner of presidential vote