NORTH OLMSTED, Ohio — During Northeast Ohio’s ‘Preparedness Day,’ a disaster response specialist with the American Red Cross was shocked to learn most people don’t know the number one cause of house fires.
The goal was education, safety and preparation at several malls in the Cleveland area Saturday.
Passersby were invited to take a test then watch a short presentation.
Dominion East Ohio partnered with the American Red Cross for the event and provided safety back packs that included an emergency blanket, glow sticks, a first aid kit, emergency drinking water and useful information.
At the Great Northern Mall in North Olmsted, Megan Koeth reminded people that most fires are caused by cooking.
She also encouraged everyone to establish an escape plan for their household in case of emergency.
Preparedness Day was also held at Ashtabula Town Square, Eastwood Mall in Niles, Belden Village in Canton, New Towne Mall in New Philadelphia, Buehlers in Wooster, and Summit Mall in Fairlawn.