The deal was first reported by ESPN’s Marc Stein, who tweeted, Friday night: “J.R. Smith and the Cavs have come to terms on a four-year $57 million deal, league sources say.”
Smith released a video on “Uninterrupted,” confirming the news. He said he and his family are “extremely happy and proud” to be coming back to the Cavs, “aka- the champs, my brothers.” He said it’s been a long road, but he appreciates everyone’s support.
At the end of the video, Smith said he had one more surprise: He and his wife are having another baby!
— UNINTERRUPTED (@uninterrupted) October 15, 2016
Many Cavs players including LeBron James had been publicly lobbying for Smith’s return. LeBron reacted to the news on social media, Friday night: “So damn happy for my Lil bro!! Well deserved. Good things happens to good people. I can’t express how happy I am for you brother! Love.”
In a statement released Saturday, Cavs General Manager David Griffin said:
“Bringing J.R. back as part of our core group was a priority for us,” said Griffin. “He’s a special part of this family and we are very pleased to have reached an agreement that we all can feel good about. We know he can’t wait to get back on the court with his brothers and we are certain that everyone in this organization and city feels the same way.”
J.R. Smith and the Cavs have come to terms on a four-year $57 million deal, league sources say
— Marc Stein (@TheSteinLine) October 15, 2016