The Minneapolis Police Department says the shooting happened around 9:15 p.m. — just a block from the George Floyd memorial site.
Investigators say the woman was inside a car when she was shot. Officers found her at the scene, and she was brought to Hennepin Healthcare for treatment.
Doctors were able to deliver her child, but the woman died shortly thereafter. There is no word on the baby’s condition; however, according to the Star Tribune, the infant was placed in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.
Officer Garrett Parten, a police spokesman, says this is the city’s 29th homicide this year. The vehicle that the victim was inside has been towed as part of the investigation.
Anyone with information is encouraged to call CrimeStoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477). Tips may be submitted electronically at CrimeStoppersMN.org. All tips are anonymous and persons providing information leading to an arrest may be eligible for a financial reward.
Another shooting Sunday night happened near where the pregnant woman was shot. The victim walked into Hennepin Healthcare overnight. Investigators are currently treating this as a separate incident.
Sunday night’s shootings are the latest in what’s been a violent weekend in Minneapolis.
On the Fourth of July in north Minneapolis, a 17-year-old boy was shot, and a fight between neighbors ended with a stabbing.
Also on Saturday night, a shooting injured four people in Brooklyn Park, just north of Minneapolis.
Everyone hurt in these Saturday incidents is expected to survive.
Read the latest posts on FOX8.com, below:
- Ohio Investigative Unit cites six businesses for violating coronavirus health orders
- Cleveland police: Woman shot, killed after verbal altercation
- DC shooting leaves 1 dead, at least 20 injured including off-duty police officer
- Ohio coronavirus cases climb over 100,000, health department confirms
- ‘It’s going to work’: DeWine says he is confident in mail-in voting for presidential election