Police said the shooting happened just after midnight Tuesday on the city’s South Side. Shot-spotter technology alerted police to gunfire.
Officers arrived to find the 35-year-old woman, who was eight months pregnant, unresponsive with two gunshot wounds in the back. She was taken to a hospital, where she died. The woman has not yet been identified.
Police said doctors were able to deliver the baby, who is in critical condition.
No one is in custody, but police are investigating.
Read the latest stories on FOX8.com below:
- Dow passes 30,000 points for first time ever; Trump congratulates administration, ‘people of our country’
- LIVE: Biden, Harris formally introduce national security team
- No fans at home games in December for Pittsburgh Steelers
- Browns CB Ward to miss time with calf injury, reports say
- Voices of Unity: Spoken word for social justice