COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — One person was killed in a shooting Sunday outside a gun show at a former shopping mall in Ohio, police said.
Sheriff’s office detectives have not identified a suspect in the shooting at the Westland Mall building in west Columbus, Franklin County Public Information Officer Marc Gofstein said.
The victim’s identity was withheld until authorities could contact next of kin, Gofstein said.
The county sheriff’s office received a call of shots fired around 4 p.m. The victim died at the scene, Gofstein said.
The shooting occurred in the parking lot of the building, a former shopping mall, where visitors were leaving the Westland Mall Gun Show operated by C & E Gun Shows, Inc.
The website for the company located in Pembroke, Virginia, said it operates shows through the U.S. The Westland Mall show was scheduled to run Sept. 19-20.
The large number of people who need to be interviewed will likely require more time than normal for the investigation, Gofstein said.
Get the latest headlines on FOX8.com below:
- Reese’s tricked-out Halloween door dispenses hands-free treats
- Ohio felon arrested after using Kool-Aid packet to ring up $994 in charges at Florida Walmart
- Justice Dept. to file landmark antitrust case against Google
- Ohio woman turns self in for killing husband, says he asked her to end his suffering from illness
- Ohio woman accused of killing elderly couple