COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — One person was killed in a shooting Sunday outside a gun show at a former shopping mall in Ohio, police said.
Sheriff’s office detectives have not identified a suspect in the shooting at the Westland Mall building in west Columbus, Franklin County Public Information Officer Marc Gofstein said.
The victim’s identity was withheld until authorities could contact next of kin, Gofstein said.
The county sheriff’s office received a call of shots fired around 4 p.m. The victim died at the scene, Gofstein said.
The shooting occurred in the parking lot of the building, a former shopping mall, where visitors were leaving the Westland Mall Gun Show operated by C & E Gun Shows, Inc.
The website for the company located in Pembroke, Virginia, said it operates shows through the U.S. The Westland Mall show was scheduled to run Sept. 19-20.
The large number of people who need to be interviewed will likely require more time than normal for the investigation, Gofstein said.
Get the latest headlines on FOX8.com below:
- ‘Blood sugar sisters’: Diabetic basketball players share special bond
- Godiva plans to close 128 chocolate stores across North America due to pandemic slump
- Buffalo Bills arrive in Kansas City ahead of AFC Championship
- Two Ohio men, including one from Columbus, charged in Capitol riots, one accused of stealing coat rack
- Big offenses, overlooked defenses in AFC title game