COLUMBUS, Ohio (WCMH) – Police have charged a teen after a toddler was shot and killed in east Columbus on Wednesday.
Just before 8 p.m., officers were called to the 300 block of N Monroe Ave. in east Columbus, on the report of a shooting.
According to police, the 14-year-old boy told officers he was in the residence babysitting his niece and nephew, when a gun he was handling discharged and struck his two-year-old nephew.
The toddler was transported to Nationwide Children’s Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
Police say the teen was charged with homicide and tampering with evidence.
Police continue to investigate and ask anyone with information to call 614-461-8477.
FOLLOW THE LATEST HEADLINES ON FOX8.COM, BELOW:
- Watch Live: Senate to hold final confirmation vote on Amy Coney Barrett’s Supreme Court nomination
- 49 new coronavirus cases reported in Cleveland Monday
- I-TEAM: Clearing up mail-in ballot mysteries in Cuyahoga County
- Father accused of throwing baby off balcony, killing infant
- Anticipated update of COVID-19 advisory pauses return to in-person learning for some local school districts