STOW, Ohio -- A rash of break-ins, burglaries and thefts has prompted a warning from Stow police.
Wednesday afternoon, an alert was posted on the Stow Police Department's Facebook page informing residents about numerous crimes committed recently across the city.
According to police: “Some of the harder hit areas include: Bayside Lake Development; Darrow’s Lake Development; Huntington Hills; and the Calls Farm Development. In addition, there have been numerous thefts from vehicles from unlocked cars throughout the city.”
“That’s surprising actually,” said Andrew Kraut. “It seems like a very nice area between Stow and Hudson.”
The crimes have been reported at all hours of the day and night.
Police say some of the break-ins have even occurred while the owners were home.
The crooks are targeting unlocked vehicles and homes. In some cases, the burglars have entered through unlocked doors, windows and garages and they’ve stolen jewelry, purses, laptops, food and even a gun.
“That’s very, very scary,” said a woman named Nancy. “I carry a flashlight, even though the lights are on and have my key in my hand, and before I open my car door I look in the windows.”
Police also recommended the following tips:
• Check and lock all your home’s doors and car doors.
• Eliminate dark areas around your home and have exterior lights on from dusk-to-dawn.
• Look out for your neighbors.
• Pay attention when your dog barks or security lights come on.
• Do not leave valuables in your car or within view inside your home.
• Report suspicious activity to police IMMEDIATELY.
A reward of up to $2,000 is being offered for information leading to the arrest and indictment of those responsible.