They said the 21-year-old male lemur named Maki was discovered missing shortly before the zoo opened to visitors Wednesday.
Investigators found evidence of a forced entry to the lemur enclosure and processed the scene for evidence.
They’re seeking tips from the public, saying that Maki is an endangered animal that requires specialized care, and they are circulating a photo of a ring-tailed lemur.
The zoo boasts the largest outdoor lemur habitat in the country, housing seven different lemur species native to Madagascar.
Here are the latest headlines from FOX 8
- Mother who gave birth while positive with COVID-19 couldn’t see her baby for 10 days
- See those strange lights streaking across Northeast Ohio? Blame Elon Musk
- Celebrities we lost in 2021
- Photo of ‘Santa’ getting concealed handgun permit prompts outrage on Twitter
- Chris Cuomo fired from CNN after helping with brother’s scandal