WASHINGTON (WJW/AP) — Photos and video show the devastating aftermath inside and outside the U.S. Capitol after angry supporters of President Donald Trump stormed the Capitol in a chaotic protest Wednesday.
Where are they?” a Trump supporter demanded in a crowd of dozens roaming the halls of the Capitol, bearing Trump flags and pounding on doors.
They — lawmakers, staff members and more — were hiding under tables, hunkered in lockdowns, saying prayers and seeing the fruits of the country’s divisions up close and violent.
Guns were drawn. A woman was shot and killed by police, and three others died in apparent medical emergencies. A Trump flag hung on the Capitol. The graceful Rotunda reeked of tear gas. Glass shattered.
On Wednesday, hallowed spaces of American democracy, one after another, yielded to the occupation of Congress.
They mocked its leaders, posing for photos in the office of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, one with his feet propped on a desk in her office, another sitting in the same seat Vice President Mike Pence had occupied only moments before during the proceedings to certify the Electoral College vote. That certification would eventually take place, but not until well after midnight.
There was still a heavy police presence at the Capitol on Thursday morning. A large American flag flew from the presidential inaugural stand that a day earlier was damaged during the siege.
The latest headlines from FOX8.com:
- Here are the winning numbers for the Powerball jackpot worth $457 million
- ‘Best tailgate’: Browns fans already lining up for prime Muni Lot spots ahead of home opener
- Winning weather continuing in Northeast Ohio this weekend
- ‘Certainly a twist’: Agents search in Wyoming for Gabby Petito, in Florida for fiance Brian Laundrie
- 1 killed after plane crashes at Wadsworth Municipal Airport, OSHP confirms