Parents of LaGrange teen killed by caffeine overdose push for powdered caffeine ban

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

WASHINGTON, DC- The parents of a LaGrange teen who died of a caffeine overdose are putting pressure on the FDA to ban the sale of powdered caffeine.

Logan Stiner, a Keystone High School senior, died on May 27, just three days before graduation. The medical examiner said the 18-year-old had a toxic level of caffeine in his blood, causing cardiac arrhythmia and a seizure.

The Stiners, and the parents of a 24-year-old Georgia man who also died from a caffeine overdose, delivered a petition to the FDA on Tuesday.

"He did not take it as an athletic supplement. He had been done wrestling for three months and he was ready to start his new ventures in life,” said Kate Stiner, Logan’s mother. “He did it because he could and because he had a busy week and he thought that it was safe."

In Ohio, more than 200 people have been admitted to hospitals for caffeine overdoses, including five life-threatening cases. According to the FDA, a single teaspoon of pure caffeine is equivalent to 25 cups of coffee.

The products remain on store shelves and available online without regulation, warnings or protection. The Stiner family, who is joined in the fight by U.S. Sen. Sherrod Brown, said this must change.

"We know that our culture seems to think that ingestion of caffeine will make you stronger and better at athletics or whatever you're doing and that's why we need the FDA to step in and do the right thing here,” Brown said.

For more on this story, click here.

FOX 8 Cleveland Weather // Quick Links:

Hot on FOX 8

More Viral

continue reading override