Former University of Akron student dies in house fire

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

AKRON, Ohio -- Firefighters say a former University of Akron student is dead after an early morning house fire.

According to the Akron Fire Department, the fire started at about 4:45 a.m. Monday in the 900 block of Grant Street.

The home was being rented by four people. The deceased has been  identified as  26-year-old Kevin McCollum, a former interior design student at Akron. According to the university, the other three residents of the home were not current Akron students. Two were  former students and one never attended the university.

The fire started in a second floor bedroom. Firefighters were able to knock the fire down quickly, and McCullom was found in the bedroom.

The cause of the fire hasn't yet been determined.

The American Red Cross has been notified for the students displaced by the fire.

Stick with Fox 8 and Fox8.com for more.

Around the Buckeye State

More Ohio News
FOX 8 Cleveland Weather // Quick Links:

Hot on FOX 8

More Viral