Gonzalez, whose district includes Rocky River, Strongsville, Medina and Wooster, was one of several Republicans in the House of Representatives to break from party lines.
The House secured the votes to charge Trump with incitement of insurrection. He is now the only U.S. president to be impeached twice.
“The President of the United States helped organized and incite a mob that attacked the United States Congress in an attempt to prevent us from completing our solemn duties as prescribed by the Constitution. In doing so, five people have died– including a Capitol Police Officer– and many more have been injured, and our democracy has been shaken,” Gonzalez said in a statement Wednesday afternoon.
“When I consider the full scope of events leading up to January 6th including the President’s lack of response as the United States Capitol was under attack, I am compelled to support impeachment,” he continued.
The latest headlines from FOX8.com:
- Biden reverses Trump ban on transgender people in military
- Live: White House holds briefing as Biden plans to boost US manufacturers
- Third stimulus checks: Here’s what is holding up those $1,400 payments
- California lifts virus stay-at-home orders, curfew statewide
- Juvenile arrested in killings of 5, including pregnant woman