COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — An Ohio State University student from New Jersey was killed in an early morning shooting near campus over the weekend, authorities said.
Columbus police were dispatched shortly after 2 a.m. Sunday to a reported shooting in an alley and found a man with a gunshot wound who was pronounced dead at the scene, the university’s public safety department said.
Authorities identified the victim as 23-year-old Ohio State student Chase Meola, a fifth-year marketing major from Mahwah, New Jersey.
“The Ohio State University community is in mourning, and our deepest condolences and support go to the family and friends of Chase,” the university public safety department said, adding that counseling services were available for students and staff.
Officials said reports indicated that some people were asked to leave a house party in the area and an altercation occurred outside.
Columbus police said Kintie Lanod Mitchell Jr., 18, of Columbus was charged with murder; it’s unclear whether he has an attorney and a listed number in his name couldn’t be found Sunday.
Columbus police are investigating. Anyone with information was asked to call investigators.
Get the latest headlines from FOX8.com below:
- Coronavirus-themed Halloween display bringing joy to Cleveland community
- Akron police search for hit-skip driver who struck, killed 64-year-old pedestrian
- Spotty showers continue overnight as cold front sweeps through
- Local family-owned costume shop struggling amid coronavirus pandemic
- Officials track down first-ever ‘murder hornet’ nest in Washington