Ebola patient graduated from Firestone High School, Kent State; was in town planning wedding

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- We're learning more about the second health care worker to be diagnosed with Ebola.

She's been identified as Amber Vinson, 29.

Mark Williamson with Akron Schools says she's a 2003 graduate of Firestone High School.

She also received two degrees from Kent State University in 2006 and 2008.

Kent State released the following information on Vinson:

"The University has informed its university community that the second confirmed Ebola patient, a nurse who helped care for Thomas Eric Duncan, is related to three Kent State employees. The patient was not showing any symptoms of the disease when she traveled to Cleveland, Ohio.. In Dallas, the patient detected a low-grade fever on Tuesday, Oct. 14, and entered a Dallas hospital for isolation and treatment. The patient was tested for Ebola, and results on Wednesday, Oct. 15, confirmed the diagnosis.

It’s important to note that the patient was not on the Kent State campus,” said Kent State President Beverly Warren. “She stayed with her family at their home in Summit County and did not step foot on our campus. We want to assure our university community that we are taking this information seriously, taking steps to communicate what we know.”

Classes at Kent are continuing as scheduled. Parents and students with questions and concerns are asked to call: 330-346-INFO.

FOX 8 image- Tallmadge home where Amber Vinson stayed during visit.

The Ohio Board of Health confirmed that Vinson had been in the Akron area visiting family and stayed at a home in Tallmadge.

Director of Public Health Toinette Parrilla said Vinson was also in town preparing for her wedding.

The board of health is working with the Summit County Health Department to identify points of travel and locate people who had contact with the patient.


The woman "exhibited no symptoms or sign of illness while on Flight 1143, according to the crew," Frontier Airlines said in a statement.

However, in a letter from Frontier Airline CEO David Siegel to employees, it states Frontier was notified by the CDC that the passenger may have been symptomatic earlier than initially suspected; including the possibility of possessing symptoms while onboard the flight.


She flew from Dallas-Fort Worth to Cleveland on Frontier Flight 1142 on October 10.

Passengers who flew on Frontier Airlines flight 1143 from Cleveland to Dallas/Fort Worth on Oct. 13 have been asked to contact the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The number to call is 1-800-CDC-INFO.

Meanwhile, Vinson, who lives alone, is in isolation at Emory University Hospital in Atlanta.

She was transferred there Wednesday night from Texas Health Presbyterian in Dallas, where she helped care for Ebola patient Thomas Eric Duncan

"I don't think we have a systematic institutional problem," Dr. Daniel Varga, chief clinical officer of Texas Health Resources, told reporters Wednesday, facing questions about the hospital's actions.

Medical staff "may have done some things differently with the benefit of what we know today," he said, adding, "no one wants to get this right more than our hospital."

People in Vinson's office building were informed when officials went door to door, and also through early morning reverse 911 calls, officials said.

The health care worker had no pets, authorities said.

The CDC announced earlier today that the patient traveled on a Frontier flight from Cleveland the day before reporting symptoms.

Around the Buckeye State

More Ohio News
FOX 8 Cleveland Weather // Quick Links:

Hot on FOX 8

More Viral