CANTON, Ohio (WJW) — A home was abandoned in a construction zone on I-77 Wednesday, the Ohio Department of Transportation confirmed.
“They just went right through our construction zone and staying in that left contra flow lane and realized hey we can’t go any further here, so they just stopped,” said ODOT District 4 Spokesperson Ray Marsch.
ODOT, reportedly working with the contractor and mobile home company, has now announced plans to safely remove the home Thursday between 3:30 a.m. and 6 a.m.
Authorities are shutting down the highway’s left lane about a half-mile south of SR 800 at that time, and drivers are asked to take an alternative route. Drivers are advised to take the I-77 north the right lane, exit at SR 800, re-enter I-77 north to U.S. 30 east to Cherry Ave to U.S. 30 west to I-77 north.
The ramp from SR 800 south to I-77 north will be closed. Drivers should follow SR 800 south to I-77 south to SR 627 (Faircrest St. SW) to I-77 north.
Officials said the house got stuck because it was too big of a load to fit through the area. The moving company reportedly did not comply with the permit processing directions to not drive through the construction zone.
Canton police said they cited the 72-year-old driver who had been hauling the home with a maximum size violation as well as a permit violation.
“This person did not have a permit, it did not allow them to go through our construction zone so that’s why they got stuck because they weren’t supposed to be there,” said Marsch.
ODOT hopes it serves as a warning to other drivers hauling oversized loads to make sure they have the proper permits.
“Our permit department at ODOT handles over 300-thousand plus permits per year and the reason there are so many is because we want to avoid headaches like this,” said Marsch.